Navajo rug woven with germantown wool which was common in the late 1800's. Germantown yarn was a commercially spun and dyed yarn manufactured in Germantown, Pennsylvania that became available to the Navajo weaver in 1865 in a three-ply yarn and by the mid 1870's in a four-ply yarn. By 1875 the four-ply yarn had all but replaced the earlier three-ply yarn in Navajo weavings. The use of Germantown yarns by the Navajo was ended for the most part at the turn of the century.
Condition: Excellent, no repairs.